Balatonfüred, end of Öreghegyi street
GPS: N46°58,141'; E17°52,410'
Open to visitors :
1st May - 15th September 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
|| 450,- HUF|
|| 350,- HUF|
| Child (4-14)
|| 250,- HUF|
This exhibition site is the partner of Balaton Card, Füred Card and Balaton Riviera Card.
The cave which was found in 1894 on the western side of the Tamás Hill and was opened to the public in 1934 is located on the outskirts of the town. The spectacular middle Triassic limestone layers, displaced from their horizontal formation by the impact of mountain-forming forces, hide this strictly protected cave, created by eroison of the limestone by warm waters gushing up from the deep. The dissolving process left cauldron shaped forms and occasionally still visible pea-stones as a reminder of the circumstances surrounding the formation of the cave.
The cave can be reached from the center of the town in 5 minutes by car, with a 0,5 hour-long walk from the railway station following the green stripe tourist marks or from Jókai lookout tower following the green triangle tourist marks. The cave can be visited in casual clothes, with the help of professional guidance and electric lighting.
More details about the wildlife, discovery, development and evolution of the cave here.
Tel.: +36 87/555-291
More information about the town of Balatonfüred: www.balatonfured.hu and www.balatonfured.info.hu
Department of Tourism and Education:
programmes, stage, press:+36-87/555-289 dr. Annamária Kopek
guided tours, website: +36-87/555-291 Erika Józsa
environmental education, open-air school, nature trails: +36-87/555-290 Szilárd Somlai
The area of the Bakony-Balaton Geopark being developed in the region includes this exhibition site and its surrounding as well. Further information here: